Insurance claim

On this page

    As a property owner, Toronto Community Housing is responsible for making sure its properties are well-maintained and safe, within reasonable standards. This legal responsibility is referred to as a “duty of care” under the Occupier’s Liability Act

    However, accidents can happen. Typically, these are situations where: 

    • your personal belongings are damaged, or 
    • you have been injured on Toronto Community Housing property. 

    Toronto Community Housing is not automatically responsible for your damages. As a tenant, you are responsible for getting your own insurance coverage. This is a requirement under the lease you sign when you move in. In the event of a claim, contact your insurer first because your policy may offer you more coverage. 
    If you feel that Toronto Community Housing did not meet its legal responsibility, follow our three-stage process to file your claim.

    File your claim

    Stage one: Put it in writing as soon as possible

    Instructions to write and submit your claim/letter

    This can be a letter written by you, a third party, or legal representative. Send your claim to:

    Toronto Community Housing

    931 Yonge Street, 6th Floor

    Toronto, Ontario

    M4W 2H2

    ATTN: Risk Management Unit

    Please note: If you sustain property damage or bodily injury, it does not constitute liability or fault on the part of Toronto Community Housing.

    Special instructions for writing your claim letter if:

    A. Your personal belongings are damaged: 

    If you have contents insurance, contact your insurance provider.

    If you do not have insurance and feel that Toronto Community Housing may be responsible for causing damage to your property, submit your claim in writing so we can start an investigation. When writing your claim, make sure your letter includes:

    1. Name, mailing address and phone number of the person making the claim
    2. Date, time and location of the incident
    3. Brief details about what happened
    4. A description of the damage or loss
    5. Supporting documentation like photos, invoices or receipts that identify when and where items were purchased or repaired

    B. You’ve been injured on Toronto Community Housing property:

    If you are involved in an incident, tell us immediately by calling our Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500, or contacting your superintendent​​ or Tenant Service Hub staff. If you wish to report a claim for your injuries, notify TCHC in writing and make sure your letter includes:

    1. Your date of birth
    2. Occupation, wage loss (if any) and return to work date
    3. Confirmation of date and time of loss and loss location
    4. Exact location of loss (photograph if available)
    5. Detailed circumstance of the loss
    6. Confirmation of any witnesses
    7. Confirmation as to when the loss was reported and to whom
    8. Nature and severity of the injuries
    9. Hospital attended after loss and all medical reports related to the incident (if applicable)
    10. Family doctor’s name and address
    11. Your health status prior to the loss and a list of health condition(s)


    Once you have written your claim and submitted your letter to Toronto Community Housing, a Program Supervisor will be assigned to investigate your case. 

    Within 14 business days of receiving your letter, a staff member from the Risk Management Unit will acknowledge your claim by phone or in writing. If in writing, it will be a letter or email that includes details about the Program Supervisor who is doing the investigation.

    Investigations take time. The investigation includes a site visit and gathering information from the person making the claim and from staff. We do this to help assess whether Toronto Community Housing is responsible for damage or injury.

    After the investigation is completed, we will notify you of our decision in writing. We will send a letter or email with the claim decision. The written claim decision will outline whether we have accepted your claim (and settlement terms), or whether your claim has been denied and the reasons why.

    If it is determined that Toronto Community Housing is not responsible, your claim will be denied and any legal action will be defended. At any time during the claims process, you can seek independent legal advice to help you with your claim.

    If you use the services of a lawyer, all communication with Toronto Community Housing about this matter must happen through your lawyer. Toronto Community Housing cannot give you legal advice. There are free or low-cost legal resources available. Our Services and Supports page has a list of services across the City.

    Stage two: Tell us if you would like to discuss the decision or the claim process

    If you have a question about the decision letter you received in stage one, please contact us as soon as you can. You can call 416-981-5500 and ask to be directed to the Claims Program Supervisor in the Risk Management unit or use the contact information provided in the letter. 
    Toronto Community Housing takes the time to make sure all investigations are done thoroughly and fairly. A claim is paid only when it has been determined that Toronto Community Housing is legally liable (responsible). 
    NOTE: All Claims decisions are final regardless of whether they have been accepted or denied.  The Program Supervisor will only review your claim again if you provide new​​ information or evidence that was not considered during the investigation. A staff member from the Risk Management Unit will acknowledge that they have received the new information or evidence and let you know about the next steps, They will do this by phone or in writing. 
    If you do not agree with the decision and you still want to pursue your claim, your next option is to proceed with legal action. 

    Stage three: What happens after a decision is made

    Claim decisions are final. If your claim has been accepted and you agree with settlement terms, sign the release form and forward back to us for finalization. 

    If you do not agree with the decision and you still want to pursue your claim, your next option is to proceed with legal action.  

    Submit your claim

    About the collection of personal information 

    Toronto Community Housing may be collecting personal information for the purpose of investigating incidents related to security and safety of people and for the investigation of insurance claims and evidence required to protect Toronto Community Housing’s legal rights.  Specific individuals concerned may not be given notice as required by section 29(2) of MFIPPA if the notice could potentially f​rustrate an ongoing investigation by Toronto Community Housing in respect of pending or anticipated legal proceedings. 
    This means that, in some cases, Toronto Community Housing may collect personal information about an individual without giving them notice beforehand. This would only be in cases where giving notice could interfere with an investigation and legal proceedings.