There is a waiting list for this type of housing. The waiting list is managed by the City of Toronto. Please note: You will not receive subsidized housing any faster by applying for and taking a market-rent unit with Toronto Community Housing.
The Housing Services Act sets out rules about who is eligible for RGI assistance. To be eligible to apply for RGI assistance or continue to receive RGI assistance, at least one household member must meet the following two conditions:
- 16 years of age or older
- Can live independently, with or without support services
Every member of the household must be one of the following:
- Canadian citizen
- Either a permanent resident of Canada or has applied for permanent resident status
- A refugee claimant or Convention refugee
In addition, the following conditions related to status in Canada must also apply:
- A removal order has not become enforceable against any member of a household.
- A household is not eligible for RGI assistance if it includes a visa holder. However, an exception is a household containing a visa holder from whom Immigration Canada has accepted an application for permanent resident status.
For a list of acceptable Canadian Status documentation, refer to the Access to Housing website.
The following requirements for the household also apply:
- No member of the household owes arrears, for example, money for rent or damage, from a former tenancy to a social housing provider in Ontario unless any of these cases apply:
- A member of the household has signed and is complying with an agreement to pay the money owing.*
- A member of the household has made reasonable efforts to enter into a repayment agreement.
- No member of the household has had an RGI-related conviction in the last two years. (A conviction must result from a prosecution in a court of law.)
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for rent-geared-to-income, you must apply through the Rent-Geared-To-Income Subsidy Program at the City of Toronto.
If you’re looking for information regarding taxes, visit the Tax Information page.